Herbed Butter Rice
2 cups long grain rice, washed and drained
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 tbsp oil
1 big yellow onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups water
1 lemongrass, smashed
2 pandan leaves, shredded and knotted
½ cup raisins
5 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
1 tsp instant chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp fish sauce
Generous dash of pepper
½ tsp salt to taste
Chopped spring onion (I used chopped chives to give a more exotic flavour)
Yield: feeds 4 person
1. Heat up butter and oil in a wok.
2. Toss in garlic and onion and fry till they are soft.
3. Add in lemongrass and pandan leaves. Cook for about 1 min with constant stir.
4. Stir in rice and seasoning. Mix well to combine (ensure that the rice is cover with a layer of oil).
5. Dish the rice mixture into the electric rice cooker and add in water. Cook the rice as usual.
6. When rice is almost cooked and dry, add in the raisins and kaffir lime leaves. Stir well to mix.
7. Continue to cook the rice till it's fully cooked.
8. Sprinkle some chopped chives on top of rice before serving.
Elmo didn't get to taste this heavenly dish as it contains onion (due to the toxic ingredient thiosulphate) which can be harmful to dogs. But he didn't seem to mind as I compensated him with a hard-boiled egg. *wink*