Char Siew chicken:
2 fresh chicken breast fillet
30g chopped garlic
30g chopped ginger
50g sweet Taucheow
3tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 tbsp five spice powder
Fragrant Buttered Rice:
1 cup Thai fragrant rice
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp crushed ginger
2 pcs pandan leaves
1.5 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt
Yield: feeds 2 stomachs
Char Siew Chicken:
1. Marinate the chicken with oyster sauce, sugar and five spice powder. Cover with cling wrap and keep in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
2. Saute chopped garlic and ginger in some oil till fragrant. Add sweet taucheow and honey. Mix well and simmer for 1 min.
3. Pour the gravy on the surface of the chicken (on a baking tray).
4. Roast in oven at 160°C for 20 to 30 mins until the meat is cooked in the caramelised sauce.
5. Serve with chicken buttered rice.
Chicken Buttered Rice:
1. Rinse and drain fragrant rice.
2. Saute garlic and ginger with butter in a pot.
3. Add chicken stock, pandan leaves and salt.
4. Pour the mixture onto the rice in a rice cooker and cook as usual.
5. Serve with Char Siew Chicken.
If you think that those those instant bottled Char Siew sauce makes no difference than this, I can only tell you that you are so wrong. Trust me, spend a little more time and I assure you that you will dream of yourself chopping Char Siew at your own Char Siew stall after you eat this dish.